Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day #142 - A Hike Around Town

My Kind of Town

I went for a hike last Sunday with a group from our local historical society


We had a great time hiking along the tracks. These are abandoned, so no worries of getting hit by a speeding train :)


Graffiti maybe damaging, but I still like it


Standing atop the abandoned railroad bridge looking down on the Schuylkill River


The Schuylkill River


No longer on abandoned tracks here. We followed these to the Black Rock Tunnel


It's 2nd railroad tunnel ever built in America. It's now the 3rd oldest AND longest tunnel
in the country that has been in continuous since it was built which was in 1838.


Taken just before we heard whistle and chug chug chug


We stepped back and let it pass


From the tunnel we made our way Scape Level to what was known as Little Italy.


Quite a few shells like this were found along what was a road






That's Ole Jake in the window


We ended up walking down 113 and back down to the low bridge


I forget exactly what I was standing on for this pic


Ah what's this? Another abandoned bridge? I ventured across it. The creek runs under it and trees and poison ivy grow on top of it!

It was great Sunday spent traipsing around town to place I never new existed. Looking forwarded to making the trek again and soon! :)


No comments: